Monday, January 14, 2013

I'm Going to Read the Mortal Instruments

That's right. I have been encouraged by laughter and indignation at what I did with my review of the first book of the Mortal Instruments series: City of Bones. So, I have decided that I'm going to accept the challenge and read and review all of them.

Why will I subject myself to such torture if I didn't like the first one? Well, as my mother will tell you, I like to be contrary, especially if given the opportunity.

Since I needed the second book to read, I went on a field trip to the base library. I like to own my books, but there was no way I was going to spend any more money on the series. My copy of City of Bones was for my Kindle, so I didn't really get to appreciate the gem that was the cover. This time I'm going to spend time studying the cover.


Nice art work. I kind of like it besides the fact that the girl - whom I assume is our special snowflake Clary - looks like she's half way to Super Saiyan. I give the designer a pat on the back for utilizing complimentary colors.

I see one problem though. If I were a pre-teen girl or one of those Twilight moms, then the Stephenie Meyer quote might draw you to this book. If your a person who prefers quality writing, like me, then you might run in the opposite direction while flicking holy water at it. I admit, I flinched when I was helping to buy these books for my cousin, but I heard these were okay. Now that I've read the first one, it helps lessen the sting knowing that I supplied her with the first three books of Ursula K Le Guin's Earth Sea Cycle.

Now let's look at the quotes on the back of the book.
"Fans of... Buffy the Vampire Slayer will instantly fall for the series." -Publishers Weekly
From what I've seen, I suggest watching Grimm instead since, you know, Buffy writers created it.
"Reminiscent of the Harry Potter series - and that's high praise!" -teensreadtoo.com, five-star rating and Gold Star Award review
There are buckets of other reviews out there that say Cassandra Clare actually plagiarized  from Rowling's history-making series. Like this one. And then there is this one about Clare's behavior during her days in the HP fandom.
"A gorgeous fantasy that's so good, it's dangerous." -Libba Bray
Sorry, but the only dangerous books I know of are religious texts and the Anarchist's Handbook.
 "Hold on tight for a smart, sexy thrill ride." -Libba Bray
City of Bones was neither smart, nor sexy, but I'll try to have hope.
"A tale edge by lightning, driven by power and love." -Tamora Pierce
Tamora Pierce! Say it ain't so! I remember you from my pre-teen days. You're pretty well respected in the YA fantasy community. Please tell me they tied you up and beat this blurb out of you.

So there we have it. Now I have no choice but to start the book. Please feel free to show your support with further laughter. Or roll your eyes. I know I'm not the first one doing this.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I admire your tenacity. I refuse to support Clare at all, because of her blatant plagiarism in her fanfic days.

    I have...a Thing about plagiarizers. I mean, Twilight is horrible but it still bugs the crap out of me that EL James basically plagiarized it and became a bestseller.

    Ok maybe I should say I have a Thing about people who plagiarize and then make the bestseller list. It's like we, as a culture, are rewarding them for being thieves, liars, and pretentious hacks.

    And screw you, fandom, for allowing Clare to get away with it when she wrote fanfic.

    Anyway, I'm glad that the Mortal Instruments series is bad. Makes me feel a tiny bit better about the success Ms. Plagiarizer is enjoying. Not much. But a tiny bit.

    Regarding challenges...I would challenge myself to read 50 Shades, except that I've basically read it via the recaps at Jenny Trout's blog, and I know that it would trigger the hell out of me. I would also do Twilight, except that I've seen Alex Reads Twilight and read enough of the first book to know I wouldn't be able to get through it.

    Blerg. Need to find some other book I hate. Then I can do hilarious recaps! Or just cry. Or both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining the ranks of only a handful of people who have commented on my blog!

      I understand about not supporting plagiarists. I was a university student not too long ago, and I had professors that practically beat that plagiarism is not okay into us.

      That said, Clare has committed other writer sins. I've heard she takes not using an editor as a matter of great pride, and she treated other people poorly back in her HP fandom days. I'm quite enjoying reading her work with a critical eye because of these sins.

      As for supporting her, I'm getting the rest of the books from the library. I refuse to pay for them anymore, and she has two more coming out that I've heard of. I know what they say that any publicity is good publicity, but I've already prevented someone from reading her books just by reading my first review.

      As for terrible books, I can't help you there. I'm one of the lucky few who has managed to read nothing but relatively well to excellently written books.

      As I said before, thanks for your comment. Please continue to show your support, even if only to laugh.

      Delete